What are the Latest Methods of Making a Will?
You can draft a document over the internet using readymade templates called an online will. You can then download it , print it, sign it, have it witnessed by atleast 2 witnesses and then store it in a safe place. A number of Indian portals offer these services. You can then upload a scanned copy of the will and store it on the portal.
How to make an online will?
- Log on to a website which provides a will making service. Register yourself and use your email id and password to login to your account.
- The will making service guides you on how to make a will through a questionnaire.
- Make a list of your assets such as a house, a car or land and an apartment.
- Pick your heir: Your son and daughter may be your heir.
- Have the will printed or mailed to you. Select two witnesses in whose presence you sign the will. The witnesses need to sign on each page of the will.
- You need to appoint an executor (person who sees that the assets are distributed as per your wish).
- Make copies of the will and store it in a safe place. Give the executor a copy of the will.
Video shooting of the will
Banks offer high end services such as the video shoot of the entire writing of the will and store it digitally in a safe manner. This is offered mainly to HNI’s for a fee. This process is managed by the banks wealth division in a hassle free manner making sure that your beneficiary (heirs) get your wealth.
- The will is prepared before the video shoot.
- The signing of the will by the testator (one who makes the will) and the two witnesses is recorded on camera/videorecorded.
- Once the process is completed it becomes difficult to question the genuineness of the will.
- The legality of the will needs tbe proved in a court of law called a probate. After the will has been videotaped it is easy to get a probate. The probate (This is a copy of the will certified by the court) can be given only to the executor of the will.
Who can make an oral will?
Oral wills called “privileged wills” are made by soldiers, airmen and the navy officers who are on the war front.
What is a digital will?
A digital will allows you to pass your online property (social networking accounts or an email account) to your heirs (Children). If you have a digital legacy and want to transfer it to your heirs a digital will is necessary. If you have a digital will the online/email service provider will hand over all your passwords and other account details to your heir. The digital will can also be added to a standard will.